Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Huguenot and Champlain

Hiking buddy: Myself!
Weather: High 60s 
Mountain: Huguenot Head and Champlain (Acadia National Park)
Elevation: 731ft (Huguenot), and 1,058ft (Champlain)
Ascent: Beachcroft Trail
Descent: Beachcroft Trail
Miles of trail: 2.4
Total miles this year: 139.9

... Also did a solo hike up South Ridge of Cadillac this past Friday, that added 7.1 miles to the total! Lots of people out on the trails today. Enjoyed a run down the mountain, it felt quite freeing. 

South Ridge of Cadillac
Thursday, I did a solo hike up Huguenot Head and Champlain via the Beachcroft Trail. If you had asked me earlier this year, or even last year, whether or not I liked this trail, I would have answered with a definite "no." Beachcroft is another one of those trails that I have dubbed a "butt-buster." Well, I guess with all the hiking and biking I have done this summer, I must be in better shape, because this trail was a piece of cake for me. I actually enjoyed it! 

I did some Google research and discovered that there are approximately 1,500 chunks of granite that make up the numerous steps of the stairs and flat stone pathways along the switchbacks en route to Huguenot Head and Champlain... holy cow. 


Huguenot is a "little" nub just off the west shoulder of Champlain. For most of the trail, about half a mile to the top of Huguenot, you have open views. It's actually quite stunning, even on a foggy day such as it was during this hike (at least for the way up). We had just had a couple days of hard rain, the trail was a little wet!




The switchbacks lead to the ledges that eventually wind around toward the south side of the Huguenot "dome", and then the trail dips down into the woods before ascending towards the summit of Champlain. 

Looking toward the north end of the Island...


Looking toward the south side of the Island...
After Beachcroft Trail skirts the summit of Huguenot, and dips down into the woods for a short distance, you are quite quickly welcomed by the west face of Champlain; steep, open granite faces. The amazing views are always a good excuse to take a break from the scramble, turn around and look at the beauty to be seen. 

Looking back at Huguenot Head

When I had reached the summit, the ocean was covered in a blanket of fog. With not much to see, I didn't waste anytime taking in the sights. I found my little quiet spot, hunkered down, and started writing a letter to a dear friend living on the west coast. 


There was a moment when I happened to look up after a long period of time, and boy, did everything look different! The fog was gone and the water was a beautiful blue-green. 


I finished writing my letter and started heading down the same trail. Stopped and snapped a few photos along the way...




What a beautiful afternoon it turned out to be... you know, I'm getting quite used to these solo hikes. The solitude, time to reflect and be quiet; it's quite wonderful!

Happy Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment