Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Penobscot Mountain Trail

Hiking buddy: Just me!
Weather: low 70s 
Mountain: Penobscot (Acadia National Park)
Elevation: 1,194ft
Ascent: Penobscot Mountain Trail
Descent: Penobscot Mountain Trail
Miles of trail: 3.2
Total miles this year: 107.0

What a morning! 

Thank you, to my boss, for changing up the work schedule... it may have taken me out of my "ordinary" lineup for the week, and I may have been a little hesitant about having all this free time to myself today... but, instead of freaking out, or laying around at home being lazy, I stepped outside the box. I went hiking... alone. 

Completely alone. No Phoebe. No music. No familiarity except the trail and the mountain. Just me, my thoughts, and nature. And, you know what? It was absolutely wonderful. 

The park loop road was craaazy busy today. Most of the side pull-offs and parking areas were full. Lots of people walking, hiking, running, biking, enjoying the beautiful morning. I guess I can't really complain about that. I was luckily able to snag a spot in the newly renovated Jordan Pond parking lot. Looks good, guys! 

I walked along the nature trail to the Pond House, and then connected with the carriage road and hiking trails. I passed an older couple, tackling the trail with their hiking poles. They were looking rather determined, but not in any rush to get anywhere too quickly. I hope I am that awesome and fit when I'm their age.

Now, the trail looked entirely different than the last time I was out on it... back during the lovely extended winter months, only in Maine. Check out the entry here. We're talking snow, ice; the works. And now, the trail is green and buzzing with life. Literally. You will be so proud, there was one moment on my hike down where I stopped to do some reading at an overlook... and a bee started buzzing around my feet. Normally, I would leap up and scram! But, I'm learning to be still. So, I did... I was still. And the bee went on its way. Funny how that works. 

Anyway...

The first overlook is always worth a stop, there's even a little granite bench to perch on and take in the sights. 


Just around the corner, I hit the blueberry motherload...


They're ready to be picked! I saw many hikers squatting in the bushes today... to pick the blueberries, of course. 

The wonderful thing about this trail? The last mile is completely above treeline. The sun was beating down on my face and back as I climbed up the open granite face of the ridge. Thankfully, there was a wonderful, cool breeze to offer moments of refreshment from the heat. The sky was a clear blue, without a cloud in sight. I could see for miles in all directions. 

Looking towards The Bubbles and Cadillac
Looking back towards the south end of the island

Now do you see why it is mornings like this that I love? To be alone, yet not entirely alone. To see for miles, yet only focus on the two feet in front of you. To feel the hot rays from the sun, yet feel the tickle of a swift breeze across the back of my neck. Ahh, I want to go back already. Who needs to work?


After a quick selfie at the top, and one banana later, I started my trek down the mountain. I love hiking this ridge down, it's almost as if you could just keep on walking straight toward the ocean. Instead of just seeing piles of granite boulders in my way (when hiking up), I am able to look out over the ridge, see the surrounding islands, the enormous body of water and the horizon (on a clear days such as this). That puts a little zip in my step. 


Just a little glimpse through a cairn. 

I soon came upon the older couple I had seen earlier. They were slowly, but surely, making their way to the top. I stopped to chat for a few moments. The gentleman asked if I had already hiked my way to Sargent and back... now, there's an idea! I've gone from Penobscot to Sargent via the East Cliff Trail of Sargent, holy butt-buster... never again. However, there is another route that connects to the South Ridge Trail of Sargent. A hike for another day!  

When I reached the first overlook, just before the trail dips below the trees again, I decided to sit awhile and read. I've just started reading a book called Doing Life Differently; The Art of Living with Imagination, by Luci Swindoll. She's a southern lady with gumption! Completely living her life differently than what was expected of her from her family and even from herself. A little tidbit from what I read today;

"Whether adventure takes us to our own backyard or to a distant continent, 
the spirit of adventure is all about staying on the lookout-
keeping our eyes and our hearts open 
and participating fully in the moment we've been given as a pure gift. 
We have a part to play, a song to sing. 
Each experience life serves up is an opportunity to savor a moment we will never taste again."


So many of us have forgotten what is means and what it takes to be still. To stop rushing. Why are we always in a hurry? It's as if we are afraid of missing something, or we're always in a hurry to move on to the next item on the agenda for our lives. Or, how about those electronic devices and social media outlets? Can we "unplug" ourselves from those? Get out from behind the screen and step out into the world. An adventure is waiting for anyone who truly wants it. All it takes to get the momentum going is a simple step out the door. And then, it's as easy as being still and savoring the moment. Look with your eyes at the textures and colors of nature. Listen to the music of the birds, the grasshopper's symphony, buzzing of the bees, rustling of the leaves and grass, running water and hustling waves. Smell the sweet scents of flowers, or the poignant aroma of pine. Taste the blueberries! Touch the granite, tree trunks, leaves... Savor the moment. And that's all pretty easy to do when you're out enjoying the park, so give it a go. 


Happy Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment