Friday, June 13, 2014

Conners Nubble, The Bubbles and Pemetic

Hiking buddies: Jamie and Arnie
Weather: Low 70s, sunny
Mountains: Conners Nubble, North Bubble, South Bubble and Pemetic Mountain (Acadia National Park)
Elevations: 588ft (Nubble), 872ft (North), 768ft (South), and 1,248ft (Pemetic)
Ascents: Jordan Pond Carry, Eagle Lake Trail, Bubbles Trail, Pemetic Northwest Trail
Descents: Bubbles Trail, Pemetic Northwest Trail
Miles of trail: 5.9
Total miles this year: 70.9

Ever have one of those days where you just want to get lost in the woods? This past Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous, sunshiny day. Sitting in church, my feet were getting antsy for the trails. I couldn't even enjoy the church's annual picnic to its full extent! I mean, I love a good gathering around tables full of delicious, mouth watering food. Haddock Reuben anyone? Note to self, that was a brilliant idea! But, I was in a funk and knew the only cure was the park and to have its trails under my feet and its views overtaking my vision. 

I thought it would be difficult to convince my hiking buddies to get started early and to anticipate a longer hike than usual. Boy, was it easy!

One of my favorite loops in Acadia is the Conners Nubble and North Bubble loop. I love looking south down the island from the summit of The Nubble. I can see all my favorite peaks in clear view, towering over me, saying "Hike me! Hike me next!" Well, that's kind of what we did...

To start, we parked at The Bubbles lot and took the Jordan Pond Carry trail off of the Bubbles Trail. There is NO sign post for this trail. You'll see a little trail veering off the right side of the Bubbles Trail, maybe 0.1 miles from the start. If you want to try this hike, give me a shout out and I will be your guide. Seriously!

The Jordan Pond Carry trail is relatively flat, winding through the woods along a brook and atop planks, boulders and dirt paths.


You know my love of planks! Any trail... I will do it just for the planks. 

The trail will eventually lead to the edge of Eagle Lake, continue on your journey by taking the Eagle Lake Trail. But, first, walk to the water's edge and steal a glance of Conners Nubble from afar. It's so darn cute.

Conners Nubble and Eagle Lake


The Eagle Lake trail is also fairly flat, as it follows the edge of the lake towards the base of Conners Nubble. 



Warning: Extremely buggy during the summer months! But, I'm telling you, it's worth it. The trail will open up to the lake's edge, offering moments of a light breeze and cool air. Just before the trail reaches the carriage trails, you'll see a trail head post for Conners Nubble. In just half a mile you will reach the summit! 




Now, THAT'S the view I love. Cadillac, Pemetic, South Bubble, North Bubble, Penobscot and Sargent! All in one glorious shot. Gotta love it.

The trail continues onward, down to the carriage trail and then up the north ridge of North Bubble. Elevation is gained quickly, and quite soon you are bursting through the trees onto the summit of North Bubble overlooking Jordan Pond. 


We discussed the GENIUS idea of setting up a zipline between Pemetic and Penobscot. How absolutely crazy and awesome would that be?? Hmmm...



Now, I don't have the photo proof from the hike up South Bubble and Pemetic, you'll just have to trust me here. We did, in fact, decide to walk across the street and hike the Northwest Trail up to the summit of Pemetic Mountain. Five steps in I knew it was a bad decision, but I was determined to finish strong and make it to the top. You know I was moaning and groaning the entire time. It was certainly worth it; the sky was a clear blue, the sun was shining, and not another soul was at the summit (besides my awesome hiking buddies, of course). I sat atop the summit, overlooking Jordan Pond and the ocean, and relished in the complete silence. If that's not a good cure for being in a funk, I don't know what is! 

Here's to getting "lost" in the woods more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment