Friday, May 2, 2014

Dorr Mountain; Ladder Trail

Hiking buddies: Marina and Becca
Weather: 50s, partly cloudy, short rain shower and rainbow!
Mountain: Dorr (Acadia National Park)
Elevation: 1,270ft
Ascent: Ladder Trail and Schiff Path
Descent: South Ridge Trail and Canon Brook Trail
Miles of trail: 3.3
Total miles this year: 31.2

Well, I'm back from the hot and humid Dominican Republic. What an amazing trip! I am glad to be home and I am ready for the hiking to recommence. I certainly missed the trails while I was away. 

One of my favorite hiking buddies is in town for a week, so, of course we have some great hikes planned for the weekend! 

To start: Dorr Mountain

It always sounds like a great idea before the hike begins. The ladder trail has... well, ladders. There are also some great overlooks, steep cliffs, slanting rock faces, and MANY granite steps. It's a fairly strenuous hike. I repeat; I almost died.


The stairs are actually a fine example of the amazing stonework produced by the early trail builders here on MDI. Cut, carried, plopped accordingly. Props to them, it took a lot of hard work and sweat; glad it wasn't me! It takes a trail full of these suckers for me to really remember the people who helped make all these hiking trails, on the island, possible. Thank you! In all seriousness.

After the first set of stairs, I am always quickly reminded how much I hate this trail. Ok, hate is a strong word. Obviously, I don't mind the trail, since I hike it at least once every year. But, that's where it ends; with once. It's kind of like the Perpendicular Trail of Mansell; once a year. I'm kind of a loud hiker, I always warn my hiking buddies. But, don't let the mumbling and grumbling fool you; I really do love to hike and enjoy every minute of it, mostly.

It was nice to be outdoors after working through a gorgeous day. After working up a sweat within the first 15 minutes, I was able to take my long sleeve layer off and go in a tank... until it started drizzling. Rain was not in the forecast! Thank you, weatherman. 


After the first stretch of granite steps along a cliff band, you come to a break through a large boulder that you walk through. Immediately at the end of the break you are greeted by your first set of rungs! Warning: This is a very old ladder. It is not completely attached to the rock. Use the lovely rungs to your side to keep your balance!

Photo courtesy of Becca



After a couple more sets of ladders and rungs, say goodbye to the iron! The rest of the trail winds along the cliffs, up more granite steps, and scales up the slanting rock faces until you reach the summit. 

The rain eventually subsided, so, you know what that means...


Rainbow!

Eventually, the Ladder Trail branches off; continue onto the Schiff Path, which will lead you to the summit. At this point, MOST of the hard work is done. The incline is less steep, as you have just gained most of the elevation climbing a million stairs and ladders. However, the job ain't done yet! 


The Schiff Path winds along the cliffs and up the slanting rock faces... which were a little wet today! I'll tell you what though, I will gladly take on the steep, slanting rock faces to the never ending granite stairs. If I want a StairMaster workout; I will go to the gym, thank you. 

All kidding aside... this is a great route up Dorr; it's actually my favorite hike up the mountain. Perhaps because the other trails, up this peak, have even more stairs... but, at least this trail has the thrill of ladders, rungs, and exposed cliffs that overlook the valley and ocean. The sights are glorious and breath taking!

Continue south to hit the summit...


A quick glance to the right, and there's the tallest peak on the island: Cadillac!

Important: When one is on top of Dorr, one must always practice some yoga moves. I'm not entirely sure when this tradition started... but, it keeps happening. And, why not?


And, some jumping ensued...


One more click of the camera, and we were on our way down the mountain...


I don't recommend taking the same route back down. You know me, I love making complete loops! I suggest taking the South Ridge Trail and Canon Brook Trail back to the starting point. When you hike down the South Ridge Trail, you get to hike towards this:


Yes, please!

At the base of the mountain, the trail will intersect with the Canon Brook Trail; take a left! The last mile or so will be relatively flat, with beaver ponds, planks, and thick woods. Nature at it's finest. 

By the time we made it back to the car, the sun was nearly gone and the sliver of a moon was shining brightly. A great hike, a wonderful welcome back to the hiking trails, and a great time with good friends. 


Marina and I have a 6 mile/4 peaker hike planned for tomorrow. The weather is foretold to be in the upper 50s with plenty of sunshine. Oh, it's going to be a good one! Happy hiking.

No comments:

Post a Comment