Friday, April 4, 2014

Beech Mountain

Hiking buddy: Ian
Weather: low 40s, sunny, close to sundown
Mountain: Beech Mountain (Acadia National Park)
Elevation: 839 ft
Ascent: Beech Mountain Loop (0.7miles)
Descent: Beech Mountain Loop (0.4miles)
Miles of trail: 1.1
Total miles this year: 20.1

Sometimes... it's hard having to sit at my bench at work, looking out the window that is staring me back in the face; showing me what I'm missing in the outside world. Around four in the afternoon the sun hits low enough for its rays to shine directly in, causing me to squint and look like a fool. But, do I close the blinds? Heck no. The warmth feels good. It's a reminder that I need to get out and enjoy the remaining hours of daylight after work.

Today was one of those days. I couldn't wait to go on an adventure; I dragged my friend, Ian, along for the ride. Or, shall we say, hike. I gave him the option: Beehive or Beech? We decided on Beech Mountain. 

Now, there are a few ways to go about hiking Beech Mountain. The actual base of the mountain is by the ends of Long Pond and Echo Lake. There is the Beech Cliff trail which begins by Echo Lake; it's a ladder trail, very fun, slightly difficult, and usually closed for Peregrine Falcon nesting. Then there are the West Ridge and South Ridge trails, they start by Long Pond; which I have never done. Note to self: hike those trails! 

Or, you can drive to another trailhead that starts around 300 feet of elevation. There's a nice little loop that will take you the last 500+ feet to the summit of Beech Mountain; where the famous old fire tower still stands tall. Considering the state our trails are in this time of year... still covered in ice and snow, I felt it was best to stick with the simple Beech Mountain Loop. 

It didn't cross my mind that the park gate would be closed, or, in fact, that there would even be a park gate to begin with... we had to jump over the gate and walk up to the trailhead. I wasn't entirely sure what condition the trails would be in, naturally. It has been much warmer this week, I was assuming the snow would have melted away. I think the snow covered road was a good hint that that would not be the case.

In the parking lot area you will find three trailheads... The Beech Mountain Loop starts in the front right corner. The trail very quickly splits in two; you can take the steep trail (0.4miles) or take the more round-about route (0.7miles). Preferably, I enjoy taking the steepest route up. The other trail takes you along the ridge overlooking Long Pond and Mansell Mountain. A wonderful sight to hike towards! However, with the ice and snow cover, we took the safer route. Around the mountain we went! 


Luckily, I was able to slap the crampons on my hiking boots and walk with slight ease. Poor Ian, I didn't warn him beforehand. He's a champ. 

What I enjoy about this trail: it's nice and easy to start, a little stroll through the woods. Then, it breaks out into the open with a wonderful view of Long Pond and Mansell Mountain. The time was after six and the sun was getting quite low. Too early for sunset, but still beautiful.


Around the corner... and there's more snow!


With a slight scramble for the last tenth of a mile, you are quickly rewarded with a glorious view!


And, of course... the fire tower:


How else do you think you can get a shot like the one above? You have to climb the stairs of the fire tower and look out over the railing. The last time I was up there; it was a Fall painting. Today, you can see the hope of spring and warmer weather to come... I hope very soon!

Ian and I are quite similar... we both enjoy making a complete loop. Down the steeper trail we went... I think that's where the adventure really settled in. Someone before us had done some slipping... and butt sliding! Genius. Thank you trees and little branches for allowing me to latch on, and thank you Ian for your patience.

This afternoon, adventure was tugging at my sleeve. I'm glad I decided to answer its call. I'm still gaining my hiking legs back, winter can really kick a girl out of shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment