Saturday, February 1, 2014

Champlain; South Ridge/North Ridge Trails

Hiking buddies: Dan and Krista
Mountain: Champlain (Acadia National Park)
Elevation: 1,058 ft
Trail up: South Ridge
Trail down: North Ridge
Miles of trail: 3.4
Mileage for the day: 5.6
Total miles this year: 11.2

All week I had had a longing to hike the south ridge trail of Champlain. I figured, for a winter hike, this trail would be perfect; long and easy, nice sun exposure (less ice!), and a great, rewarding view from the top. I wasn't disappointed!

We drove to the start of the Beehive and Bowl trail, off of Ocean Drive, and went on from there. I was very excited to give my new crampons (stabilizers) a go on the icy trails.


My hiking compatriots slipped and slid their way along the trail, while I was able to walk freely and at ease on top of the ice. I felt invisible!


Of course, I had to take a peek at how Beehive was looking for this time of year. The cliff side gets excellent sun exposure! Does it look ready to hike? Is it safe? Stay tuned! I will make an attempt tomorrow...


Wasn't too enthralled by the bright red appearance of the new crampons, unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice! However, a friend shared these words with me, pertaining to the eye-sores above; "red is bold and adventurous." I like that... I will take each step of the trails, this winter and beyond, boldly and adventurously. Quick shout out to True Value in Bar Harbor, if you're looking to snag a pair of stabilizers for your winter adventures. Best investment for winter hiking!


Dan and Krista enjoyed taking a risk on the frozen tops of the water along the way to Champlain.


The Bowl is actually a hidden gem for skating enthusiasts. After a brisk hike to the spot, enjoy the quite and solitude while gliding on the ice. Whether your choice of footwear are skates... or sneakers! Oh, Dan...


You'll see a view of Dorr and Cadillac in the picture above. The south ridge trail is quite well known for it's false peaks with a scramble or two in between. Exhaustion is easily quenched with the glorious sites to be seen. The ridge takes you along the backside of the mountain, which provides a breathtaking panoramic view of the coastline.


For the hike down, we decided to follow the north ridge trail back to the park loop road, and continue with a walk along the loop road back to the car. Now, I LOVE hiking down. To me, the sweat and effort that goes into an incline is immediately awarded with, of course, the view from the top, but also the wonderful decline! I thoroughly enjoy a nice jog down a mountainside. This is not possible during the winter months, and today's hike was excellent proof of that. Snow and ice made the hike down slow as you thoughtfully needed to plan the best route and place your feet accordingly. But, when you're with great company and the weather is nice after a reign of bitter cold, the slipping and sliding down is truly worth it.

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I can hear you talking as I read your words. Please keep writing! This is really wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos!!! And I like the red... not gonna lie. ;-) You know me... bold and bright is beautiful. Just like you!!! <3

    ReplyDelete